Rinso Marquette Tournament Championship
Lebanon Valley 95, Staten Island 65
Light, Anderson, Bugg, Boccanfuso, Orr
Taylor, Bryant, Latunji, Flagg, Delahanty
How It Happened
Lebanon Valley defeated Staten Island 95-65 at Sorrentino Gymnasium to win the 2017 Rinso Marquette Men's Basketball Tournament Championship on Saturday afternoon, Nov. 18.
Sam Light, Andy Orr, and Will Boccanfuso reached the double-digit scoring mark and each flirted with double-double territory. Light was named the tournament's most valuable player (MVP) and Orr earned a spot on the all-tournament team.
Like they did one night earlier, the Flying Dutchmen (3-0) raced out to a double-digit lead, with Chris Anderson providing six quick points and Light converting three free throws to make it 15-3 at the 13:16 mark of the opening half.
LVC's defense made life tough on the Dolphins (1-1) and allowed just five made field goals in the game's first 10:33. On the other end, layups byAndrew Eberhart and Ricky Bugg pushed the advantage to 20 for the first time with 7:01 remaining before halftime.
Lebanon Valley took its largest lead of the half when Zach Tucker buried a 3-ball off an assist by Light to inflate the score to 43-16 at the 2:20 mark.
Staten Island responded after the break and cut a 23-point halftime deficit to 12 when Darryl Bryant found Christian Taylor for a bucket from beyond the arc with 10:29 left to play.
That CSI push proved too little too late, however, as Light's triple at the 9:39 mark sparked a 9-0 LVC run that was capped by an Orr putback following an offensive rebound with 8:17 remaining. The Dolphins would pull to within no less than 19 the rest of the way.
Most Valuable Player: LVC's Sam Light
LVC's Andy Orr
Staten Island's Adeola Latunji
Staten Island's Christian Taylor
Ursinus' Eric Williams Jr.
New Rochelle's Anthony Turnbow
Inside the Numbers
- LVC shot the ball well and finished with a 51.6 shooting percentage from the field.
- For the second night in a row, the Dutchmen got to the foul line 30-plus times. The team finished 24-32 from the charity stripe.
- The Lebanon Valley bench outscored Staten Island's reserves 30-17.
- The Dutchmen scored 50 of their points in the paint.
- LVC shot 33.3 percent from 3-point territory, including 57.1 percent (4-7) in the second half.
- Sam Light netted a team-high 21 points to go along with eight rebounds, one assist, and one block.
- Andy Orr nearly recorded his third-straight double-double, finishing with 19 points and eight rebounds to go along with two blocks.
- Will Boccanfuso netted 11 points on 4-5 shooting from the field and added a game-high nine rebounds and two steals.
- Andrew Eberhart and Chris Anderson each tallied eight points, while Ricky Bugg and Zach Tucker added six apiece.
- CJ Boxley dished out a team-high four assists.
- LVC has now won the Rinso Marquette Tournament Title three years in a row.
LVC hosts Elizabethtown at Sorrentino Gymnasium on Tuesday night, Nov. 21. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m.
Be sure to follow @lvcathletics on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for the most in-depth coverage of LVC athletics.