Friday night: Emory halts Wash U run; Thomas hits big shot

Ashley Oldshue had a big third quarter for Emory.
Emory athletics file photo

The Washington U. women came into Atlanta on a long winning streak but left it no closer to the UAA title, while Thomas beat Husson on an 80-footer at the buzzer and the Amherst men finished a sweep of Williams in Friday night's Division III basketball action. 

Ashley Oldshue led four double-figure scorers with 21 points in sparking the Emory women to a big Friday evening home win over Washington U. The Eagles won 75-66, for their sixth consecutive victory, while the Bears saw a nine-game win streak fall by the wayside, dropping to 15-6, 9-1 in the UAA. Oldshue tallied all 14 of her second-half points in the third quarter, hitting seven of eight field goal attempts, that spearheaded the Eagles (16-5, 7-3 UAA) to a 15-4 run to close the quarter.

Emily Spencer scored a runner with under 30 seconds to play to give No. 13 George Fox a late lead over Whitman and the Bruins made their final four free throws in a 61-57 win over the Blues. Both teams struggled on offense with George Fox managing 22 field goals against 22 turnovers and Whitman getting 25 field goals against 22 turnovers. Spencer scored 18 points for George Fox (19-3, 12-1 NWC), which now has the inside track on home court during the NWC playoffs.

Men's action: Big night in NESCAC

No. 19 Amherst defeated No. 10 Williams 84-79 as the Mammoths swept the season series from the Ephs. With the game tied at 52, Eric Sellew started a 14-2 run for Amherst that lasted nearly five minutes and put the Mammoths ahead 68-54 with 6:10 left to play. Sellew finished the game with 10 points and seven rebounds, as Amherst shot 50.8% from the floor and had five scorers in double-figures. Grant Robinson led Amherst with 18 points and five rebounds, though Bobby Casey of Williams led all scorers with 29 points, including five 3-pointers.

Max Bosco knocked down a three with 2.4 seconds left, propelling Middlebury to an 80-79 home victory over No. 8 Hamilton (19-3, 5-3). The Panthers (18-5, 7-2) control their own destiny, as a win Saturday against 19th-ranked Amherst would clinch the top seed for the upcoming NESCAC tournament. A steal and layup from Jack Farrell brought the Panthers to within 79-77 with 39 seconds left. After a Continentals timeout, the visitors had a jumper rim in and out and Folger secured the rebound. Farrell pushed the ball up the floor, finding Bosco on the right wing for the game-winning 3-pointer with 2.4 ticks left and was fouled. He purposely missed the free throw and a last-second 55-foot heave bounced off the backboard, giving the Panthers the victory.

Colby shot 12-for-22 from beyond the arc in the first half alone to take a 54-28 lead at Wesleyan, then held on down the stretch to beat the Cardinals 90-80. Wesleyan started the second half on a 45-20 run before Colby retook control. Matt Hanna led the Mules with 19 points, while Noah Tyson added 17 points and 10 rebounds. Colby (16-7, 4-5 NESCAC) shot 18-for-39 from 3-point range for the game. Austin Hutcherson had a game-high 26 points to lead the Cardinals (15-8, 5-4).

Tyler Nixon pulled down a defensive rebound, took a dribble, and nailed an 80-footer at the buzzer as Thomas won 83-80 at Husson on Friday night. The Terriers (10-12, 7-5 North Atlantic Conference) finished the game on a 20-6 run. The game had a bit of intrigue in the closing moments as well, as the shot clock expired and the game clock paused briefly with 1.8 seconds left, but the horn did not sound and play continued long enough for Nixon's heave. Husson fell to 13-10, 9-3 in the NAC.